Here is a very short list of suggested readings. You do not need more.
1-On Buddhism: Buddhism for dummies. Excellent book indeed.
2- On Zen & Zen philosophy / practice:
- What is Zen? by Zen Master Alan Watts.
- From Zen Master Tchich Nhat Hanh, excellent author and great Zen Master
- Peace in every step: The path of the mind
- You are here: the magic of the present moment
- From Zen Master Charlotte Joko Beck:
- Everyday Zen
- Nothing special: Living Zen
- FromZen Master Seng Sahn: Only don’t know mind
- Zen by Osho
- + Many books from the Dalai lama; philosophy of Life practice at its best.
3- On Zen meditation:
- Zen Meditation in plain English: John Daishin Buksbazen
- Zen meditation: plain & simple: Albert Low
4- On Mindfulness:
- Mindfulness in plain English by Vene. Henepola Gunaratana
- Breath by breath by Larry Rosenberg . Ed Shambhala 1999
- Clinical handbook to mindfulness by Fabrizio Didonna.
5- How meditation works: medical review:
A short but excellent review. But we still don’t know how exactly how meditation works.
6- Web sites:
They are many and most of them pretty bad if not dangerous.
- My #1 choice: www.zenguide.com . I knew very well the founder Zen Master Chon TRI who passed away few years ago.The site is now run by his sons.
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meditation. Excellent and comprehensive review of history of meditation, world wide practice and beneficial effects. More than 200 references/ bio
A wonderful description of Zen philosophy, a must listen many times.
There are many others references. Please contact me.